Musical Notes of Summer Concert Series are Back!
by Editor & Photographer Rebecka Hoyt
After a year without summer concerts, the South Shore Concert Band brought some great music to Buchanan at the Common on Thursday, June 10, 2021! The bright and hot sun greeted the good-size crowd as everyone had been waiting a long time for some good entertainment.
The band is under the direction of Dale Reuss. A variety of music from Star Wars, The Wizard of Oz, The Blues Brothers, marches by John Philip Sousa and their well-known song by frequent South Shore Concert Band listeners the Armed Forces Salute.
In order to keep concerts coming to the Common, a raffle was held for a $25 Subway gift card.
Here are the rest of the Thursday night 2021 Summer Concert Series. They are held at the Buchanan Common, Thursdays at 7 P.M.
- June 17: Work in Progress Reloaded (enjoy your favorite country, blues and rock-n-roll)
- June 24: Blue Shoes (wide variety of tunes from swing to rock)
- July 1: Backsliders (acoustic arrangements of popular songs)
- July 8: 3 Shots (formerly Gypsy Red – country, classic rock & 3-part harmony)
- July 15: Red Deluxe Band (mix of rock, country, blues)
- July 22: Chippewa Project (mix of music from 60’s to present)
- July 29: Past Time (sounds of the 50’s & 60’s; Billy Shelton (Godfather of Do Wop) as guest vocalist)
- August 5: The Dean Allrick Trio (music from The Great American Songbook)
- August 12: Lake Effect Jazz Big Band (blend of traditional & contemporary jazz big band music)
Also don’t forget to check out the 2021 Stop, Lunch, & Listen that is held at the Buchanan Common Stage on Thursdays, from Noon to 1 P.M., June 17 – July 29. This is a free summer program for children sponsored by the Buchanan District Library and the City of Buchanan.
About Buchanan Common: The Common is Buchanan’s very own outdoor amphitheatre. Sitting in the heart of historic Buchanan, it sets us apart from other local communities as something unique and special. All summer long the Common plays host to many events: from our Saturday Morning Farmers’ Market to Stop, Lunch, & Listen to our classic Thursday Night Town Concerts to our Last Saturdays on the Common Concert Series. In the future we look forward to expanding our offerings to live theater and outdoor movies. The best part of the Common, all of the events held here are FREE to the public and just another way we remind residents and show visitors how great Buchanan truly is. Hopefully you can grab a blanket, bring a picnic and enjoy some live entertainment in the warm summer air.